Saturday, August 14, 2010

Knitting: Multicolor Yarn

I'm pretty terrible with multicolored yarn. It looks so enticing in the skein/hank/ball, but I just don't know what to do with it! I needed a new mindless project to work on while watching telly so I decided to try making a scarf with the balls of Crystal Palace Taos yarn that I had taunting me in my stash.

ss1

I tried some crocheted shells. They weren't horrible. The colors show up nicely but it looks so messy to me! It also isn't the best stitch pattern for TV watching. I have to keep checking where my hook goes and I need too much light for that.

ss2

Before that I tried a weird variety of short rows. This was also messy looking but it didn't even show off the colors well. I did notice a little gem in the middle, though. See the top bit where there is a rectangle of diagonal garter stitch? That is what I decided to go with. I'm knitting the scarf from corner to corner. This makes tidy stripes and does a decent job of showing off the colors. It also isn't too boring.

7 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about multicolored yarn. I never know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about multicoloured yarn- maybe take a look for the specific yarn on ravelry and see what other people have made with it? that might give you some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. That's when I vote for making a modern art piece called "Skeins in a Basket."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here! Never know what to do with it. Especially because I can't knit (yet, still plan on giving it a serious attempt someday soon) so I use it for crochet only. Colours always pool, it looks messy and sloppy... I have yet to find a multi-coloured yarn that doesn't do this. Or a project that shows off colours without making a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are amazing at knitting! i love these :)
    xo
    mel

    peterbellandtinkerpan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love multicolor yarn when I am in the store. When I bring it home I am the same way. I start second guessing it all and thinking that the finished project looks all messy.

    http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The color is best suitable for crocheting hats or scarves. Bags are also good. Your scarf might be very beautiful.

    Summer@Tefl certification

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment!

If you ask me a question, be sure to check back in the comments section for a reply from me. I can't seem to consistently e-mail replies.